Sunday, November 29, 2015

This Gamer's Life

We keep spending most our lives living in the gamer's paradise.

(Toad has nothing to do with this post.  This pic is just so cute.  They're so happy about that star.)

I am a gamer.  If you've been reading my posts thus far, you already know that.  I'm certain that even if you didn't read them, you could deduce that from the name of my blog.  It's what I do.  Even still, I sometimes feel like a unicorn.  People either want to believe in my existence or try so hard to deny it.

For instance, my mother wonders why I love video games so much.  I've just always been drawn to them, but I can't convey that in a way that she'll ever understand.  In her mind, I should find some other way to be productive with my life.  Trust that I am and I play in my spare time, but she considers it a childish activity.  Or even worse, a BOY activity.  
Pffft.  Later for that nonsense. (I lied about Toad, and I'm going to use him to demonstrate emotion.)

A good chunk of my life revolves around acquiring and playing games, and there's nothing shameful about that.  If that's the worst habit in the world, I'll gladly accept it.  I'm tired of explaining why I play video games, so I actively befriend others who are into the culture.  I'm living in a gamer's paradise.

What do I mean by a gamer's paradise?  Simple.  In my life up to this point, playing video games is simply my greatest joy.  I don't have kids, so I dote on my games.  I love meeting with like minded individuals and sharing our mutual love for video games.  I love being a part of this culture.  It's special.

And don't think I'm only a pseudo gamer to impress anybody.  Please!  I couldn't care any less than I already don't about what people think about my habit.  Either accept that we're probably going to game when you come to visit me, or you can catch a turnip to the face.  Real talk (in my gangster voice). 

Seriously though, there is no age limit for this.  There are no racial or gender boundaries for this.  That's the beauty of it all.  We can all connect and share this common interest.  We are gamers.  For better or for worse, we're connected.  We don't grow out of it; we simply evolve with it.  I'm amazed when I think about how far we've come from the North American video game crash of 1983.  


Here's a fun graphic detailing and projecting global video game sales in 2014 and 2019.  Research!

I hope to continue to nurture and feed the need to game.  I don't want to live in a world where I can't shoot enemies, drive on the sidewalk, fast travel, battle dragons, fly, create weapons from junk, transform, or take bullets to the face and heal myself like it's nothing  And the fact that I can do it time and time again?  Paradise.

So to my fellow gamers out there, I got nothin' but love for ya.  We're a unique bunch.  In our world, we can be as serious or goofy as we want to be.  We can be competitive with one another, or we can work together.  Our common enemy is the tedium of everyday life that we escape when we power on our consoles and PCs.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh, and I am proud to admit that my current obsession is Fallout 4.  I love that game!  Feel free to check out my previous blog post.  I started a short story that's inspired by Fallout.  I hope you guys are enjoying the new releases, as well.

Game on, my friends.








No comments :

Post a Comment